21 09 2011
PacketFence 3.0 released
What is PacketFence?
PacketFence is a fully supported, trusted, Free and Open Source network access control (NAC) system. Boosting an impressive feature set including a captive-portal for registration and remediation, centralized wired and wireless management, 802.1X support, layer-2 isolation of problematic devices, integration with the Snort IDS and the Nessus vulnerability scanner; PacketFence can be used to effectively secure networks - from small to very large heterogeneous networks.
PacketFence provides an impressive list of supported features. Among them, there are :
- Registration of network components through a captive portal
- Automatic isolation, if desired, of unwanted devices such as Apple iPod, Sony PlayStation, wireless access points and more
- Instant stopping of computer worms or virus propagation
- Blocking of attacks on your servers or other network components
- Compliance for computers present on your network (software installed, particular configurations, etc.)
PacketFence is an unobtrusive solution that works with equipment from many vendors (wired or wireless) such as Cisco, Aruba, Nortel, Hewlett-Packard, Foundry, Enterasys, Accton/Edge-corE/SMC, 3Com, D-Link, Intel, Dell and many more.
More information about this release is available in the official release announcement on the PacketFence website.
PacketFence is free software and is distributed under the GNU GPL. As such, you are free to download and try it by either getting the new release from our download page or by getting the sources from the source code repository .
Documentation about the installation and configuration of PacketFence is available under the Documentation section of the website.
How Can I Help?
Enjoy PacketFence at its finest!